Tips to Prevent Ants
Serving Santa Fe | Taos | Albuquerque New Mexico
Most people have, at some point in their lives, experienced an infestation of ants in their home, office, or school. Ant infestations are common and can happen to anyone at anytime. Whether you’ve discovered a nest of pavement ants in the garage or a line of house ants crawling along your kitchen counter top, it is never fun to encounter ants infesting areas they shouldn’t. Luckily, there are a number of helpful tips and hints when it comes to learning how to save yourself from dealing with ants again.
Methods of Preventing Ants
There are more than 700 species of ants in the United States alone, and more than 20 types are known to infest homes or other structures. It’s no wonder then why ants are reported to be the number-one nuisance pest in the country and why most people have experienced ant infestations. Thankfully, there are several ways homeowners can reduce their chances of unintentionally inviting ants into their homes.
- Limit Sources of Water: Reducing any excess moisture or standing water around your home can be extremely helpful in preventing ants.
- Repair leaky pipes and regularly check under any sinks for moisture.
- Consider using a dehumidifier in damp basements, crawl spaces, or attics.
- Outside, ensure that downspouts and gutters are functioning properly so that water flows away from the foundation of the house.
- Make sure to keep pet bowls clean and wipe up any spilled food or water promptly.
Ready to Schedule Your Ant Exterminator Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you back
- Control Sources of Food: Ensuring your kitchen is clean and tidy will help to discourage ants from coming indoors.
- Wipe down counters and sweep floors regularly to eliminate crumbs and residue from spills.
- Store open food in sealed, hard containers, and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Clean out jars that contain sticky substances, such as honey, syrup, sodas, or other sweets.
- Always use a secure lid on garbage cans and dispose of trash regularly.
- Opt to store dry pet food in a sealed plastic container rather than the paper bags they often come in, which can be easily accessed by ants and other pests.
- Eliminate Ant Entry Points: Ants are definitely drawn to a specific room in your home when it comes to infesting a space: your kitchen! However, bathrooms, bedrooms, basements, living rooms, the interior of walls, and in/around air conditioning and heating units are also occasionally known to harbor ants. Make sure all access points are sealed and secured.
- Remember to inspect dog or cat doors to ensure that pests cannot get through. Ants can fit through tinier openings than you’d think.
How to Prevent Ants From Outside Your Home
- Carefully and thoroughly inspect the outside of your home to seek out any easy entry points.
- Trees and bushes should be trimmed away from the home, as branches can provide a road indoors for ants.
- Seal any cracks and crevices on the outside of the home with silicone caulk, paying special attention to areas where utility pipes enter.
When to Hire An Ant Exterminator
While there are many tips and tricks to preventing ants, it’s a hard battle once they are inside your home. An ant infestation can grow quickly and become a serious issue if not properly treated; several species, such as carpenter ants, can even cause extensive property damage and most species can contaminate your food. To avoid the infestation getting out of hand, it’s important to trust in your local pest control professionals to help fix the problem. New Mexico Pest Control has all of the tools and experience required to professionally and expertly eliminate ants from your home and keep them from returning. By scheduling a year-round program with New Mexico Pest Control, you can make sure ants will never be a long-term nuisance again! Call us today to set up your appointment.
Back to Ant Exterminators – Control – Removal