How to Prevent Bed Bugs in Santa Fe NM
Bed bug infestations can seem to pop up out of nowhere sometimes, but it’s still important to learn ways to prevent them. Learning the signs of bed bug presence, being wary of used items, and taking precautions during travel are the three main ways to keep bed bugs out of your home.
There are several steps you can take to prevent a bed bug infestation:
- Inspect hotel rooms and hang up your bags when traveling.
- Put a mattress cover on your bed.
- Reduce clutter in your home whenever you can.
- Be careful when taking in used furniture.
- Learn how to identify an active bed bug infestation.
Can Bed Bugs Actually Be Prevented?
Even the cleanliest homeowners are subject to a potential bed bug infestation. It can be difficult to prevent them because they often show up quite randomly. However, there are some routines that you can implement in your life to remain on guard against bed bug problems. Staying educated on the ways that bed bugs operate can lessen your chances of seeing an infestation later on.
Need an Estimate? Request a Callback
Tips to Prevent Bed Bugs in Your Home
Here are some of our tips to help prevent bed bugs in your home:
- Learn the signs of bed bugs. Small, red bites on the skin in the morning are an obvious sign, but also look for fecal and blood spots.
- Look out for them in used furniture. Thoroughly inspect any secondhand items you bring into your home.
- Protect your power outlets. Cover your outlets with a simple plug to keep bed bugs out of them.
- Cover your mattress. Use a mattress protector to keep bed bugs out of your bedding.
- Take caution while traveling. Research your hotel and be sure to hang your bags above the ground during your stay.
- Regularly inspect and clean. Always check for signs in furniture and bedding, vacuum often, and reduce clutter.
What Causes Bed Bug Infestations in Santa Fe NM?
Even the cleanest properties can end up having a bed bug infestation. Once they have gotten into your home, though, there are a few things that keep them sticking around. They are constantly on the hunt for a warm place to stay and a source of blood to feed on. As long as hosts are around, bed bugs will set up shop anywhere.