Pest Seasonality: Pests to Prevent Throughout the Year
Here in Santa Fe, pest problems are a fact of life for property owners all year long. However, the type of pest you deal with in the summer might be different than the ones trying to infest your home in the winter. This is due to the fact that different pests thrive in different weather conditions. With our climate in New Mexico, pests can be pretty active all year long. However, our exterminators want to help inform our customers about the different pest threats they can expect to face in the fall, winter, spring, and summer months. With a little help from the NPMA, we are here to share all you need to know about pest seasonality in our area.
Fall & Winter Pest Threats
With the mild, wet summer we had, we can expect mosquito and tick problems to be prolonged through the fall this year. Our mild winter allows many pests to remain as active as ever. Some of these pests include:
- Rodents (rats and mice). When temperatures dip, rodents will try to get indoors to wait out the colder months.
- Ants. Because they need moisture, ants will be driven indoors more than usual this time of year to seek out water.
- Cockroaches. Similarly to ants, roaches will hide in dark, damp areas of the home in the fall and winter.
Spring & Summer Pests to Look Out For
When spring and summer roll around, you can expect pest problems to be on the rise. Our weather encourages all types of pests to reproduce and thrive throughout most of the year. The most common pests we deal with in the spring and summer here in Santa Fe are:
- Termites. Our climate is a haven for termites, who swarm in the spring and are at full force in the summertime.
- Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water during the summer months, which is when they’re most active.
- Flies. While mostly a nuisance, fly populations boom in the summertime and can quickly ruin your outdoor events.
- Stinging insects. Bees, wasps, and hornets will construct nests near residential properties and can be a threat to families.
Preventing Seasonal Pests in Santa Fe NM
To better prepare yourself for an infestation, it’s important to understand the pest seasonality here in Wisconsin. In order to protect your property from pests year-round, it’s best to work with a professional pest control company you can trust. The experts at New Mexico Pest Control are standing by to help—call us!