Signs of a Cockroach Infestation
Serving Santa Fe | Deming | Albuquerque | Las Cruces
Cockroaches are an elusive pest that often stays hidden in your property. Seeing even one roach is a bad sign you already are dealing with an infestation, which is why it’s important to know how to recognize the signs of roaches. Besides seeing a cockroach itself, the top signs of a cockroach infestation are foul odors, droppings, and egg cases or skins. A cockroach infestation isn’t just a nuisance—these critters can be dangerous by spreading bacteria and even contributing to allergies. For that reason, it’s important to always be aware of their possible activity in your property.
To avoid dealing with these pests, keep reading to learn how to spot the signs of a cockroach infestation in your Santa Fe NM home.
Top Roach Infestation Signs
If you haven’t seen a roach but are starting to suspect their presence, there are three main indicators of their activity to look for:
- A foul odor. Some roach species are known to emit a musty, unpleasant odor that lingers and gets more pungent with more roaches.
- Egg cases or skins. Oothecae are brown casings that house up to 50 eggs and can be found before or after the eggs hatch in serious infestations. Roach skins are often seen where cockroaches are taking up shelter.
- Droppings. Resembling anything from tiny pepper specks to miniature pellets, a large amount of feces is a clear indicator of a cockroach infestation.
Need an Estimate? Request a Callback
Cockroach Infestation Behaviors
Cockroaches are unique pests that will stay hidden at all costs. To better understand cockroach infestations, here’s what to know:
- As nocturnal insects, cockroaches often scatter off toward dark corners when you turn on a light. They prefer dark, moist environments and avoid daylight.
- Cockroaches are known to survive in any environment and will feed on anything. They will eat garbage, wallpaper paste, paper, bookbinding materials, and other organic materials.
- Roaches prefer to dwell in small, dark areas of a property. They’ll hide under the sink, in the walls, behind appliances, or in your laundry room.
What To Do If You See a Cockroach in Santa Fe
As soon as you’ve seen a cockroach or any roach infestation signs in your home or business, it’s best to call a cockroach exterminator. At New Mexico Pest Control, our roach removal team will conduct a thorough inspection of your property to determine where the roaches are and what may be the source of the cockroach infestation. Call us today to learn more about our cockroach control!Back to Cockroach Exterminators – Control – Removal