How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Santa Fe & Albuquerque?
In any new construction, it’s important to treat the lumber and use termite-resistant materials to help prevent infestations in the future.
No one wants to learn their brand-new home has termites, which is why it’s essential to take all possible measures to prevent an infestation during the construction phase. To prevent termites when building a new building, it’s best to apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built. Some of the following methods are most common:
- Treating the lumber used in the build
- Using termite-resistant materials instead of or in addition to wood
- Applying chemicals on all points of contact where wood directly touches the ground
- Implementing preventative safety measures to ensure the new home is protected
Ready to Schedule Your Termite Inspection?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you back!
Preventing Termites Before Construction
When building a new structure, there are a number of things that can be done to protect the new build from termites. The most important step in any pre-construction phase is treating the soil before any construction begins, which can form a chemical barrier to prevent termites from getting near the building. Other important techniques to help prevent termites during the home-building process include:
- Using pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Trying to limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensuring the home will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
- Building the home in such a way to create proper drainage, best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, being wary of keeping wood above ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Integrating a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build which can help block entry points.
Termite Prevention in New Buildings
Even if your brand-new home is built with termite-resistant materials and techniques, it’s still important to implement ongoing prevention. In homes of any age, it’s important to continually treat your property to protect yourself from termites. Some of these methods include eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or rotten sources of wood, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground. The best thing you can do to ensure your new home stays termite-free is to invest in regular inspections from a professional pest control company!