Protect Your Home From Pests in the Fall
Everyone knows pests are common throughout the summer, but what about in the fall? As soon as the weather begins to change in New Mexico, there are several types of pests that will begin searching for resources and shelter spots to overwinter. For that reason, infestations can be more common when summer comes to an end—making now the time to protect your property. To avoid an infestation inside your home this fall, it’s important to know how to prevent them!
Pest Infestations in the Fall
As the summer ends and fall begins, there are multiple pests and insects that make their presence known in New Mexico residences. Some of the pests you may come across this time of year include:
- Rodents: Although they’re active year-round, rats and mice move indoors for warmth.
- Ants: All types of ants need warm, dry environments and may move inside your home in the fall.
- Boxelder bugs: These black and red insects are infamous for entering homes for heat and shelter to overwinter.
- Cockroaches: Just like any other time of year, roaches will seek out moist, dark, damp, and warm areas inside.
How to Prevent Seasonal Pests
In order to keep pests outside and away from your home or business this fall, it’s important to implement preventative measures. A few of the ways you can lessen the risk of an infestation include:
- Clean up your front and back yard, remove all debris, and get rid of piles of wood or other potential shelters for pests.
- Search your home’s foundation for cracks or crevices, and seal them as needed. Repair damaged door and window screens, and double-check the security of your roof.
- Promptly address any moisture issues by fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
- Always keep a clean and tidy home by wiping up messes and sealing food and trash cans.
Protecting Your Home From Pests Year-Round
The last thing you want as the year ends is to find out you have a pest infestation, which is why pest control in the fall is of the utmost importance. Whether you need help inspecting your home for possible pest attractants or are already noticing the signs of a pest problem, give the experts at New Mexico Pest Control a call. Our years of experience can help protect you and your family from seasonal pests all year long.